16.6.09

Seven Days in Sunny June

Now I know what Jamiroquai was thinking when he wrote this song... I think. June has been quite a month so far... full of work and learning and excitement and new people and new places and new things. It's an adventure, literally. In the broadest sense of the word.

The 1st seven days have been full of reporting and catching up on things that I left when I roamed Sumatra on Phase I. It should include rest and recuperation, theoretically. Only I never recuperated properly because I had to prepare for Phase II... 

The 2nd seven days have been spent in three provinces (North Sumatra, Riau and West Sumatra). It's been great. Cool places, cool people, cool findings. Absolutely fabulous. 

The 3rd seven days is... now. I'm right in the middle of it. It's Bengkulu province this time, and it's started with delayed flight. It's a precious lesson, actually. No matter how good you plan things, no matter how detailed and how prepared you think you are, shit happens. At the time when you least expect it. You can rant and scream and be angry and be a pain in the *ss and make other people miserable, but it wouldn't change anything. It would only make things worse. So just stay cool about it. Make changes and adjustments and accept the fact that shit had happened. I bet this is what Murphy had in mind when he made up that famous adage. Here's the full text, from Wikipedia:
   ... nothing is as easy as it looks
        everything takes longer than you expect
        if anything can go wrong it will
        at the worst possible moment.

The 4th seven days will be next week. Covering other 3 provinces (Jambi, South Sumatra, Lampung). The work will be tough, schedule- and substance-wise. But there will be new places and new people and new learnings and new insights and new experiences and new excitements. And the adventure continues. 

The next seven days... who knows? 

Some people say: live one day at a time. One day seems too short and haphazardly impulsive to me. It's 24-hours, no more and no less. And I mostly feel as if 24 hours are not enough. So how about this: live seven days at a time? Seven days seem fair enough. Enough time to think things through. Enough time to plan and prepare. Enough time to get some inspiration. Enough time to live in excited anticipation, barely able to contain myself. Enough time to fantasize and imagine what will happen. Enough time to savor the moments. Enough time to cool down. Enough time to reflect on what happened. Enough time to cherish the memories. Enough time to look forward to another seven days, whatever those seven days may bring me. 

Those seven days might excite you, dazzle you, intoxicate you, lift you, or crush you. But at least you live life to the fullest. Seven days at a time.

...could it be this? the honeysuckle blessings seem to show me
could it be this? for seven days in june i wasn't lonely
could it be this? you never gave me time to say "i love you"
could it be this? i know you don't believe me but it's so true...

No comments: