4.7.08

The Bookworm Diaries, Chapter 2

Tuesday, 1 July. Went to the book festival (again), this time with my daughter. She's developing a bookworm tendency as well... she's been reading a book on a student's journal living in Italy. And she asks sooo many questions ranging from "do you prefer eating at a pizzeria or a gelateria?" to "what is heresy?" which gets me thinking hard at times. Trying to do my best, of course, explaining whatever she wants to know in a language she can understand. But in cases of emergency, there's always Google and Wikipedia. 

She found a book for herself. Then she watched impatiently as I was rummaging in the used books booth (she was gone the moment I paid for my books, but she could understand my excitement when I told her I bought three... and one of them was for her). 

Here are the books I found today:
1. White Teeth (Zadie Smith)
"Something about friendship, love, war, three cultures and three families over three generations, and the tricky way the past has of coming back and biting you on the ankle."

2. Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys
As if I needed one. Come on. Are you kidding me?

3. Chicken Soup for the Kids' Soul
This is, obviously, for my daughter. But I will, obviously, be reading it myself too... and she knows it.

So, I took my daughter to a book festival, and I was happy about it. At least we were doing something educational... now I just have to make sure she actually reads them. 
 

No comments: