22.7.08

The Knight is Very, Very Dark

Just how dark is "The Dark Knight"? Very dark. "There's no ray of hope for the city." says one review. I went to see it with one question, "Just how brilliant is Heath Ledger as The Joker?" (what I had in mind was Jack Nicholson's Joker... against Michael Keaton's Batman, way back then). Well, Ledger's Joker is chilling to the bone. I mean really, really b-a-a-a-a-d... a mad genius with a sick, dark sense of humor. 

Christian Bale? He's darker than ever. He doesn't smile in the movie. Not even once. But he's just as ravishing as ever (don't take my word... I'm biased here, since I'm a huge fan of Bale's)

Aaron Eckhart? His descent into darkness is disturbing... (plus, the make-up and effects are WAY more real and convincing than the other Batman movie where Tommy Lee Jones is playing Two-Face...) Now my mental picture of him as a warm, charming chef in "No Reservations" is completely ruined. 

"The Dark Knight" walks that thin line between superhero and supervillain, good and evil, White Knight and Dark Knight... tiptoeing and tripping and at times having one foot on each side, deliciously savoring the adrenaline rush during dilemmatic decision making... "Will they push the button? Will he choose Harvey or Rachel? Will he reveal his true identity?"  and sometimes making the wrong choice... or simply giving in to the dark side... which is so painfully human. 

This movie lingers in my mind still, and this is already two days after I saw it.

Oh, wait. I just have to write this: I overheard some girls' conversation in the restroom after the movie. They were chattering loudly. Here are some of their comments:
- "It's crazy... I was so bored in there. It's such a boring movie." (she might be one of those moviegoers who's busy texting or talking on mobile phone in the middle of a show, or doesn't bother to follow the movie plot?)
- "Batman is so low-IQ in this movie. Stupid. Driving a piece of junk for a car." (she's referring to Batmobile, of course... maybe she thinks Batman should be smart enough to choose a sturdier, flashier car, like a Hummer or a Porsche Cayenne... and perhaps a sleek BMW R1200 instead of Batpod?)

I guess not everyone is as passionate or appreciative as I am when it comes to movies. Oh well. At least I still have a bunch a buddies who would be glad to spend time with me discussing movies over a cup of cappuccino. Consider myself lucky :)

No comments: