3.7.08

The Most Humane and Generous "Diet"

I promptly started reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" because... I can't wait whenever there's a new book around. I like Mireille Guiliano's sensible and easy approach. Just the other day I saw a banner at a nutrition/supplement store, promoting "lose 2.5 kg in 24 hours!", and I wonder what is being lost. Common sense and plenty of fluids, I suppose. 

And who hasn't seen rows and rows of diet guidebooks? Atkins. South Beach. Carb diet. Tiger diet. Vegan. 1000-calories-per-day. 200-calories (oh, sorry, that's the diet for the pet rabbit... wrong shelf). And I remember with a bitterish grin on my face, my crazy days of "6 apples a day and nothing more". Where did I hear that from?!! I was starved, and jittery, and lightheaded, and I think I started hallucinating (illusions of tenderloin, fusilli carbonara, and blueberry cheesecake... slurppp) before realizing that I haven't lost any weight at all. And afterwards, I couldn't stand the sight of apples for years on end. 

So... Mireille's "recipe" truly feels heaven sent. It's so humane and forgiving and generous I wanted to cry reading it... imagine being allowed to eat dark chocolate, mille feuille, pumpkin pie with hazelnuts! Moderately, yes, but still! It's such a welcome change from steamed vegs, low-fat this, artificial sweetener that, and whatnot. I finally found something that's really feasible for lifelong implementation. Because a good diet is not a crash program, it's a lifelong habit, it's the way you live your life. You choose things that are healthy for you, and please you, to boot. So basically, you will be healthy both physically and psychologically... by eating for pleasure. Sounds like a good deal to me. 

If more women could read this book, I believe there will be a significant decrease in the global prevalence of anorexia and bulimia. Yes, it's quite French- and American-oriented (Mireille is a French married to an American, and she writes based on her experience in the two countries) and the recipes might be a bit too Frenchy for Asian palates, but the basic principles are the same, and is applicable in any culture, any country. Just substitute the ingredients and use your common sense, et voila! Bon appetit...

No comments: